About Dr. Andrea Medaris
Dr. Andrea Medaris is the founder and director of Dragonfly.
One thing that all successful therapies have in common is the therapist’s belief that there is a way to get better. Our paths to getting there vary, but we share a conviction that there is a solution to this problem and that we will find it together. My goals as a treatment provider are understanding, warm acceptance, gentle challenge, and mutual adventure.
My treatment approach is primarily humanistic, meaning that I see myself as a collaborator in your therapy and I believe that the strength of our therapy relationship is an essential agent of change. I work to slowly increase the ability to tolerate uncertainty, reduce avoidance of discomfort, and improve emotional regulation skills, all with the goal of a more flexible, resilient person who is able to adapt to life’s demands. I have been trained in Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT), Emotionally Focused Therapy (EFT), and relational therapy for complex trauma. Elements of each of these approaches inform my clinical practice.
Education and Career Background
- Member of the Traumatic Stress Research Consortium and the APA Division 56 Anti-Racism Task Force
- Postdoctoral Fellowship at Psychology Specialists of Maine
- Predoctoral Internship at Rhode Island School of Design Counseling and Psychological Services
- Psy.D. in Clinical Psychology from William James College
- B.A. in Psychology from Mount Holyoke College
- EFT Maine